When did you start playing video games?
When they first became available in places I visited – motorway service stations were the first place I saw them in the Seventies.
- What is the first game you remember playing?
I remember having a go at pong in a service station when they first came out. I lasted seconds. Asterroids and Breakout were similarly hard for me, so I thought that video games were not for me.
The very first proper game I played, I think, was the Hobbit for commodore 64 which Wiki informs me must have been about 1982. It was on a datasette (a cassette tape) and would rarely load first time – you could spend half an hour waiting for it to load correctly. I got stuck at one point and never progressed further (it was soon after the trolls, I believe). The software disappeared mysteriously after we had some people visit.
How strange that now I am playing LOTRO and yet had not read any Tolkein at that time. I did manage reading the Hobbit later but was unimpressed. (Now am enjoying reading LoTR)
I also played Tetris, endlessly, and BRIX (I loved that game)
- PC or Console?
- XBox, PlayStation, or Wii?
For me it has always been PC, though I have recently been given a Wii and also have an old xbox which I must admit only really got used for storing music and videos on.
- What’s the best game you’ve ever played?
It has to be LOTRO, obviously. Though Portal 2 and Transport Tycoon are close runners (I have played Transport Tycoon since it came out as shareware on a floppy, through my first present of a boxed game and even now occasionally as OpenTTD.
- What’s the worst game you’ve ever played?
- Name a game that was popular/critically adored that you just didn’t like.
Pacman, and I never got on with platform games
- Name a game that was poorly received that you really like.
I’m not sure on this, I don’t tend to go by reviews (blushes)
- What are your favourite game genres?
I would always have said sims – Transport Tycoon, the Sims, Sim city, Civilisation, CivRome, etc. Now I really like Portal, Bioshock and LOTRO, and… so I guess I would just say games except platform or the really hard-core violent stuff like GTA
- Who is your favourite game protagonist?
- Describe your perfect video game.
One that brings me cups of tea?
- What video game character do have you have a crush on?
Don’t be silly, I am an adult!
- What game has the best music?
- Most memorable moment in a game:
In portal when I created the portal on the moon. Tears were streaming down my face. Though the bit in Lotro at the end of Moria also had me in tears. I cry easily.
- Scariest moment in a game:
In doom when this enormous head attacked me!
- Most heart-wrenching moment in a game:
- What are your favourite websites/blogs about games?
- What’s the last game you finished?
Portal 2 or civ5 (hangs head, I really need to finish BioShock)!
- What future releases are you most excited about?
Portal 3 (I am so predictable)
- Do you identify as a gamer?
- Why do you play video games?
For fun, obviously, but also as a social activity. At one point both my son and my mother were in the same kin on Lotro and it was great doing group play with family, but it is also great to mix with people from all over the world, and not know if they are penniless or multimillionaires.
Lotro has a pretty good music system, though it could do with some improvements, but it allows an outlet for my creativity and to play with others. I do play threes a lot on my phone, when I am waiting or travelling, and I do casual gaming when I can’t commit to real playing. I play every day, with multiple characters and classes. When I finally get bored of Lotro I will try other MMOs, but right now I don’t have time or the inclination.